Monday, May 23, 2011

Clean Eating- Day 1

So, Justin & I are both going to commit to eating a little more cleanly. It mainly consists of cutting out foods that are heavily processed & eliminating sugar (you can have natural unprocessed sugar- like fruit & raw honey) and white flour.

It's kind of amazing how it makes you realize how you depend on processed foods merely on convenience. Nobody actually makes their own food anymore. Grocery store aisles are lined with mostly processed food and only a small part of the store is fresh produce. Not only that but why is fresh food so much more money?

My body doesn't react well to processed food- especially foods with white flour. Every time in my life where I have gone a long period of time with eating nonprocessed foods and eliminating sugar, I have had amazing results. I needed a little push this time so I asked Justin to join me.

Last night we went shopping and stocked up on all the foods we will be needing. I also spent a good 2 hours preparing our lunches for the week. That's kind of what amazed me the most. You know, actually spending time to prepare the food I put into my body. I guess we don't do that often.

Today has been good so far. I eat continuously on this diet.

For breakfast I had a pumpkin smoothie which consisted of pumpkin puree, whey protein powder, 1/4 cup dry oatmeal, flaxseed oil, liquid stevia & pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon/ginger/nutmeg/clove). It was good & very filling.

Lunch is soooo delicious. We made a huge portion of barley salad last night. It's barley, peas, carrots, tomatoes, green peppers, feta & a shitake vinegarette w/ dill. It's a cold salad that you put on top of greens with a little bit of hummus. I made roasted garlic hummus last night. It's amazing.

I think one of the things that is going to be hard for us is getting over eating dessert after dinner every. single. night. We would have a skinny cow, or some fat free ice cream... so much processed food w/ lots of sugar!

I'll keep up with this.

Tonight is a whole grain pasta with pumpkin/tomatoes/turkey/squash.

No comments: